The version 5.2 release includes upgrades to service layer components, new (to version 5) profiles, enhancements to reporting and batch processing, and many bug fixes.
Release date and schedule
CollectionSpace version 5.2 was released on September 5, 2019.
February 1, 2019: Development Begins
August 2, 2019: Development Ends
August 5, 2019: QA Testing Begins
August 23, 2019: QA Testing Ends
September 5, 2019: Release
September 5, 2019: Formal Announcement to the Community
Service layer component upgrades
- The embedded Nuxeo server has been upgraded to version 9.10.
- Tomcat has been upgraded to version 8.5.
- The Bonsai profile, previously available only for CollectionSpace 4, is now available for CollectionSpace 5.
- The Local History and Material Culture profile, previously available only for CollectionSpace 4, is now available for CollectionSpace 5.
- Enhancements to reporting and batch processing
- A new top-level tab, "Tools", has been added to the UI. The "Term Lists" tab, previously under the top-level Adminstration screen, has been moved to Tools. The Tools screen also contains two new tabs, "Reports" and "Data Updates", which list the reports and batch jobs that are installed in the system. On these tabs, users can view and edit report/batch job metadata, and invoke the reports and batch jobs.
- Reports and batch jobs can now be run in "no context" mode through the UI. Previously, "no context" invocation was only possible using the REST API. A "no context" invocation causes the report/batch job to run on all records, or on a subset of records that is not selected by the end user. To invoke a report or batch job in "no context" mode, select the report/batch job on the Tools screen, click the Run button, and select "Run on all records". For this to work, the report/batch job must be authored to support no-context mode invocation.
- Reports and batch jobs can now be run in "record list" mode through the UI. Previously, "record list" invocation was only possible using the REST API. To invoke a report or batch job in "record list" mode, perform a search, and select (check) one or more of the results. The right sidebar on the search result page is populated with lists of reports and batch jobs that are registered for the record type displayed in the search results, and that support the "record list" invocation mode. Clicking on one of the items in the list will invoke the report/batch job in "record list" mode, on the selected (checked) records.
- Reports and batch jobs can now be run in "group" mode through the UI. Previously, "group" invocation was only possible using the REST API. A "group" invocation causes the report/batch job to run on records related to the group. To invoke a report or batch job in "group" mode, open a Group record. The right sidebar is populated with lists of reports and batch jobs that are registered for Group records, and that support either the "single record" or "group" invocation mode. Click on one of the items. If "group" mode is supported, the "Run on group" option will be available. Select that option to run the report/batch job in "group" mode.
- When running a report or batch job from the Tools screen in the UI, the user can select any invocation mode supported by the report/batch job. If the selected mode is "record list", "group", or "single record", the user will be prompted to search for and select records on which to run the report/batch job.
- When running a report or batch job, the UI can now display a form for the user to enter parameters to pass to the invocation. The report/batch job must be authored to accept parameters, and the UI must be configured with a form template to use to display the inputs for that particular report/batch job.
- It is now possible to specify the desired output format for a report invocation.
- The invocation context payload sent to the REST API may now contain an
outputMIME element. If specified, the
outputMIME of the invocation context is used as the output format of the report invocation. Otherwise, the
outputMIME of the report is used as the default output format.
- When running a report, the UI now displays a dropdown to allow the user to select the desired output format.
- Roles can now be searched by display name.
- In the REST API, the
roles endpoint now accepts the
dn parameter, for example:
/cspace-services/authorization/roles?dn=admin. Previously, the roles endpoint only supported the
r parameter for searching by the internal role name, which is different than the display name. The
r parameter and the
dn parameter are mutually exclusive; supplying both will result in an error.
- In the UI, the list of roles in the Roles and Permissions tab of the Administration screen now allows filtering by display name (labeled as just "name", because the internal role name is never displayed to the end user).
- A REST API call has been added to rebuild the Elasticsearch index (if Elasticsearch indexing is enabled). A POST request to
/cspace-services/index/elasticsearch will cause the index to be deleted, the mappings to be resent, and all records to be reindexed. Currently, only the built-in admin user is permitted to execute this request.
- An error message is now displayed in the footer of the UI when server status information can not be retrieved. Instead of showing the version of the CollectionSpace server (e.g. "Release 5.2"), the message "Not connected to <url>" is shown, where <url> is the URL that the UI is attempting to use to connect to the REST API. This message often indicates that the CollectionSpace server is not running.
- The spinner icon is now displayed next to the "Signing in" message while a login is in progress.
- On the Object record, a new field has been added to the Object Collection Information section: Field Collection Schema.
- Anthropology profile:
- A new procedure has been added: Osteology.
- On the Person record, a new field has been added: Person Type.
- On the Object record, a new field group has been added to the Object Description Information section: Commingled Remains.
- On the Object record, a new field group has been added to the Repatriation and NAGPRA Compliance Information section: Reported to National NAGPRA.
- On the Object record, a new field group has been added to a new section: Locality Information.
Configuration changes to record types, authorities, vocabularies, and option lists
- Batch jobs are now called "data updates" in the user interface. This is more descriptive, especially to non-technical users.
- A column for Location Date has been added to search results for Location/Movement/Inventory records, and to the listing in the related Location/Movement/Inventory tab.
- A new vocabulary, Nomenclature, has been added to the Concept authority.
- The following terms have been added to the Concept Types dynamic term list: category, sub-class, primary term, secondary term, tertiary term.
- The following vocabularies have been added to the Normal Location field on Location/Movement/Inventory records: Offsite Location, Local Organization. This makes Normal Location consistent with Current Location.
- The following vocabularies have been added to the Current Location field on Intake records: Offsite Location, Local Organization. This makes Current Location in Intake records more consistent with Current Location on Location/Movement/Inventory records.
- The following vocabularies have been added to the Normal Location field on Intake records: Offsite Location, Local Organization, Local Place. This makes Normal Location in Intake records more consistent with Current Location.
- The following options have been added to the Measurement Unit field in the Dimensions group in Object and Media records: pounds, ounces.
- Anthropology profile:
- On the Person record, the options for the Term Type field have been changed to: descriptor, alternate descriptor, used for term.
- On the Object record, the Production Cultural Group field is now linked to the following authorities: Concept - Archaeological Cultures, Concept - Ethnographic Cultures.
- On the Object record, the Production Person Role field is now linked to a dynamic term list with the following values: artist, author, creator, designer, maker, photographer.
- On the Object record, the Production Organization Role field is now linked to a dynamic term list with the following values: author, creator, maker, publisher.
- Materials profile:
- On the Object, Media, and Materials records, the default value of the Publish To field is now "None".
- The presence of deprecated ("inactive") terms on a shared authority server no longer causes synchronization to fail.
- The number of narrower records displayed in the Hierarchy section is no longer limited to 40. This change can cause records with many child records to take a long time to load; this will be addressed in a future release.
- Authority terms deleted on a shared authority server no longer appear in term completion results.
- When a Location/Movement/Inventory record is selected from search results and related to other records, the message that is displayed when the relation completes now contains the correct title of the L/M/I record.
- Chrome's autofill menu no longer appears on certain fields that appear inside tables.
- Today's date is now highlighted in the calendar date picker.
- In the Term Lists tab of the Administration screen, terms lists are now sorted by name.
- In the Term Lists tab of the Administration screen, terms in a term list are now sorted case-insensitively when the Name header is clicked. Previously, they were sorted case-sensitively.
- The Reports and Data Updates listings in the sidebar of a record now show only reports/batch jobs that are registered to run in "single record" mode – except on Group records, where reports/batch jobs that support "group" mode are shown as well. Previously, reports/batch jobs were shown regardless of the supported invocation mode, even though the mode used to run a report/batch job from the record sidebar was always "single record".
- Advanced search with multiple "and" fields ("All of the following conditions must be satisfied" is selected), where one of the fields has multiple "or" values, now produces correct results.
- Cloned person and organization records can now be successfully updated without error.
- Public art profile:
- Terms entered into the Commissioning Body field now appear in the Terms Used sidebar.
- Fixes to the clone-tenant tool:
- Tenants cloned from the core tenant using the clone-tenant tool no longer fail to start.
- Manual edits to tenant configuration are no longer needed when using the clone-tenant tool.
- Tenants cloned from the fcart tenant using the clone-tenant tool are now configured correctly.
- Tenants with a short name that contains the short name of the template tenant are now configured correctly.